Egypt’s High Administrative Court overturned on Saturday a ruling that previously convicted toppled president Hosni Mubarak, along with his prime minister Ahmed Nazif and his Minister of Interior Habib el-Adly, for cutting electronic communications across Egypt during the 2011 revolution.
A previous court ruling imposed fined Mubarak and his figures with EGP 540 million for the massive losses that hit the economy as a result of cutting electronic communications for several days. However, the sentence was appealed by the defense and turned in favor of the defendants.
The ruling comes two days ahead of Egypt’s presidential elections that are scheduled to kick off on Monday.
On 28 January 2011, when the protests and demonstrations against Mubarak and his government reached its peak, all electronic communications were suspended crippling down communication between protestors. Only landlines were working. Still, people managed to force Mubarak to step down.
An anonymous source told Al-Arabiya that a high-profile witness told the court that electronic communication was suspended in order to protect the national security and to hinder any planned terrorist attacks.
In March 2017, Mubarak was also acquitted of killing protesters in 2011 revolution. Mubarak had been sentenced to life in prison in 2012 for the killing of protesters before appealing the sentence.