News

Fan Ban Remains as 60th Egyptian Premier League Kicks Off

Fan Ban Remains as 60th Egyptian Premier League Kicks Off

For the fifth time in a row, the Egyptian Premier League is kicking off with no fans due to security concerns.

The 60th edition of the Egyptian Premier League is set to commence on Tuesday 31 July with a match between Ittihad and Arab Contractors in Alexandria.

However, the Egyptian Football Association (EFA) and the Ministry of Interior have kept in place a ban that prevents local fans from watching the match in the stadium.

The EFA has repeatedly stated that it is working to allow fans to freely attend matches at stadiums once again.

The ban initially started on 1 February 2012, when 72 football fans were killed when violent clashes erupted at the end of a match between Masry and Al-Ahly in Port Said. Dubbed the ‘Port Said Stadium massacre’, the event resulted in two Egyptian Premier Leagues being cancelled.

Since then, Egypt’s domestic matches have mostly been played behind closed doors, with some exceptions.

In 2015, however, 20 football fans were killed and dozens injured after clashes between police and spectators outside Cairo’s Air Defence Stadium. The violence resulted in the ban being extended and greater restrictions being implemented.

Critics have argued that the ban has negatively impacted Egyptian football, and likely had a negative effect on Egypt’s performance at the 2018 World Cup.

The EFA is currently planning to roll out ‘fan identity cards’ which spectators would have to register for prior to attending domestic matches.

The identity cards would allow security forces to prevent those with criminal backgrounds from attending matches and would allow authorities to track and identify any fans who cause violence during a match.

Egypt’s Parliament Considers 30% Tax On The Rich
Seven Things to Know About Egypt's New Education System

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

EMPWRNG MNDS Conference Pushes For a Youth-Driven Mental Health Movement in Egypt

Egyptian StreetsJuly 14, 2020

Egypt Records 912 COVID-19 Cases, 89 Deaths

Egyptian StreetsJuly 12, 2020

Legendary Egyptian Dancer Mahmoud Reda Dies Aged 89

Egyptian StreetsJuly 10, 2020

Egypt Passes Law Concealing Identity of Sexual Harassment, Assault and Rape Victims

Egyptian StreetsJuly 9, 2020

Ethiopia to Start Filling GERD in July: PM

Egyptian StreetsJuly 8, 2020

Accused Sexual Predator Ahmed Zaki Confesses to Blackmail, Intimidation: Egyptian Public Prosecution

Egyptian StreetsJuly 7, 2020

Egypt’s Minister for Military Production Mohamed El-Assar Dies at 74

Egyptian StreetsJuly 7, 2020

Multiple Egyptian Women File Official Complaints Against Accused Rapist Ahmed Bassam Zaki

Egyptian StreetsJuly 6, 2020