News

Thomas Cook Collapse Results in Thousands of Holiday Cancellations from UK

Thomas Cook Collapse Results in Thousands of Holiday Cancellations from UK

A Thomas Cook airplane. Photocredit: Wikipedia Commons

The recent news of reputable tourism company Thomas Cook’s liquidation has resulted in the cancelling of 25,000 booked reservations in Egypt.

Blue Sky Group, Thomas Cook’s operator, shared a press release with Egyptian Streets where the company revealed that the company was expecting 100,000 tourists to visit the country via Thomas Cook.

As such, English government body, the British Civil Aviation Authority (BCAA) is taking charge of the tourists’ return to the UK.

Currently, 1,600 tourists are located in Egypt’s seaside, in a resort in Hurghada. As of Tuesday, eight hundred tourists left Hurghada Airport onboard three government-dispatched jets as per Egypt Independent.

The news of the company’s sudden collapse brought displeasure to many, namely travelers who had already booked their flights and those already located in the Egypt.

Many have taken to social media to voice out their concerns and anger.

Moreover, the news also brought a wave of nostalgia, with many recognizing the role Thomas Cook played in popularizing tourism to Egypt in the UK.


Earlier this week, the 178-year old parent company announced its bankruptcy after it failed to secure an emergency funding of £200m from the UK government.

Its tours operators are based in the United Kingdom, Germany, France, China, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Poland, Switzerland, Austria, the Netherlands, India, and Russia.

The collapse of the company created frenzy, as it left the fate of approximately 22,000 employees undetermined and the stranding of half a million tourists around the world.

“We have worked exhaustively in the past few days to resolve the outstanding issues on an agreement to secure Thomas Cook’s future for its employees, customers and suppliers. Although a deal had been largely agreed, an additional facility requested in the last few days of negotiations presented a challenge that ultimately proved insurmountable,” said Chief Executive Office of Thomas Cook Peter Fankhauser.

According to the Travel Directory of the UK to Egypt, approximately 415,000 British citizens visited Egypt in 2018.

The Central Agency for Public Mobilization and Statistics (CAPMAS) revealed that the largest bulk of tourists were British and Russian in January 2019.

Arrests Reported in Egypt Following Recent Protests
President El-Sisi Says National Problems Require National Solutions

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

‘We Couldn’t Find One Hospital Bed For Her’: Egyptian Adventurer Omar Samra’s Sister Dies of COVID-19

Egyptian StreetsJune 3, 2020

Kemama Campaign Funds Production of Medical Masks in Upper Egypt

Egyptian StreetsJune 2, 2020

117,000 COVID-19 Cases in Egypt Say Estimates: Minister

Egyptian StreetsJune 1, 2020

Egypt Reports Highest Daily COVID-19 Increase For Fourth Consecutive Day

Egyptian StreetsMay 31, 2020

5 Egyptian Armed Forces Killed or Injured, 19 Terrorists Killed in North Sinai Operations

Egyptian StreetsMay 31, 2020

Police Investigation Confirms Menna Abdel Aziz’s Rape Allegations

Egyptian StreetsMay 30, 2020

Renowned Egyptian Actor Hassan Hosny Dies Aged 88

Egyptian StreetsMay 30, 2020

Egypt Reports Record Daily COVID-19 Death Toll, Cases Reach 22,082

Egyptian StreetsMay 29, 2020