News

Mexican Tourists In Egypt Were Bombed ‘Five Times Over Three Hours’ Says Survivor

Mexican Tourists In Egypt Were Bombed ‘Five Times Over Three Hours’ Says Survivor

Susana Calderon, who lost her husband, speaks from her hospital bed.
Susana Calderon, who lost her husband, speaks from her hospital bed.

Egyptian security forces bombed a group of Mexican tourists and their Egyptian guides around five times over a period of three hours, revealed survivor Susana Calderon who had been recovering in a Cairo hospital.

“We were bombed some five times, always from the air,” revealed Calderon to Mexican newspaper El Universal while laying in her hospital bed. “It all lasted some three hours.”

“The landscapes are beautiful, but there is nothing else. Nowhere to take shelter, nowhere to run,” she added. “God wanted me to know what real fear feels like.”

Calderon, who is expected to fully recover from her wounds that included paralysis in the right leg, also revealed the last words her husband, Luis, told her before he was taken away on a stretcher.

Selfie of the Mexican tourists at what appears to be the Pyramids.
Selfie of the Mexican tourists at what appears to be the Pyramids.

“I saw my husband when they put me on a stretcher to take me to hospital. I saw he was very badly wounded. He had a broken arm, like me. He had many wounds on his back, his waist, his whole spine, his legs,” said Calderon.

“I heard him tell me he loved me. I told him I loved him, too. And then I heard nothing more of him.”

Days later, Calderon was told her husband died of his wounds. She said they planned to visit Europe as part of a ‘lifetime trip’ that they had organized.

Among the other victims identified by social media users are Queta Rojas, Rafael Bejarano and Maria Elena Cruz Munoz. Rojas worked as a fashion executive in Mexico, Bejarano was a Reiki healer and a musician, and Munoz was a former congresswoman and a member of the Center Right Party (PAN).

Eight Mexican tourists and four Egyptians were killed in the accidental attack in Egypt’s Western Desert. Egypt’s Ministry of Tourism and police claim that the tourist group had been in a restricted area during a time when security forces were battling militants.

As the investigation continues, the Prosecutor-General issued a media gag. The ban includes all media outlets and only allows for official statements issued from the prosecution office to be published.

Egypt's New Government Announced With 16 New Ministers
Egypt Bans Publication on Killing of Tourists Investigation

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Tourism attraction public investment oil rig

Saudi Arabia Turns Offshore Oil Rig Into Huge Adventure Park

Nour Altoukhi20 October 2021

Earthquake Felt by Cairo Residents

Nour Altoukhi19 October 2021

Non-vaccinated Citizens Not Allowed to Enter Government Facilities Starting December 1

Marina Makary18 October 2021

Orascom Inks Deal to Build 500 MW Wind Farm in Egypt

Egyptian Streets14 October 2021

Egyptian Football Fans to Return to Stadiums After a 6-Year Ban

Nadine Khaled13 October 2021

‘Everything Under Control’ After Fire Engulfs Gouna Film Festival Plaza

Egyptian Streets13 October 2021

Egypt Arrests Three After 20,000+ Vaccines Found Dumped in Waterway

Mona Abdou11 October 2021

Egypt’s Big Ramy Wins Mr. Olympia Title for Second Year in a Row

Egyptian Streets10 October 2021