By Aswat Masriya Security forces arrested Salah Diab, founder of one of Egypt’s biggest private newspapers Al-Masry Al-Youm, and his son in the early hours of Sunday morning, a security source told state-run news agency MENA. Mubarak-era businessman Diab is currently implicated in an investigation where he and several other defendants are accused of seizing vast areas of state land at less than their real value. Warrants from the public funds prosecution were behind the arrests of Diab and his son, the source said, adding that the pair have been referred to prosecutors. Diab’s personal assets were frozen as per a temporary decision by Egypt’s top prosecutor, so were the assets of others investigated in the same case including real estate tycoon Mahmoud El Gammal and former Giza governor Yehia Saad. There are likely more than a dozen defendants in this investigation. The decision to confiscate the defendant’s funds will be the subject of a court hearing on Tuesday, a judicial source previously told Aswat Masriya. Farid El-Deeb, also the lawyer of ousted president Hosni Mubarak, said he will be representing Diab in court. The current case upon which the prosecutor’s asset freeze decision is…
Al-Masry Al-Youm Founder Salah Diab and Son Arrested: State Agency
November 8, 2015
