News

Autopsy Reveals Giulio Regeni Suffered ‘Inhuman Violence’ in Egypt Killing

Autopsy Reveals Giulio Regeni Suffered ‘Inhuman Violence’ in Egypt Killing

Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 8.43.08 PM

A second autopsy carried out on Giulio Regeni, who was found dead in Cairo on Wednesday, showed the Italian student suffered “inhuman, animal-like violence,” Italy’s minister of interior Angelino Alfano said on Sunday.

Italian news agency ANSA quoted unidentified sources “close to the Italian coroners” as saying Regeni suffered from several fractures and was likely left unable to breathe after his neck was twisted, breaking a vertebra. The full autopsy will likely be ready within days.

Egyptian prosecutor Ahmed Nagy, who is heading the team investigating Regeni’s case in Egypt, said on Thursday that Regeni’s body showed “signs of torture,” including multiple stab wounds and cigarette burns.

Italian and Egyptian police are cooperating in the investigation into Regeni’s mysterious disappearance and death, which coincided with the fifth anniversary of the Egyptian uprising.

While some activists have pointed accusatory fingers at Egypt’s security forces for Regeni’s brutal death, Egyptian officials, including Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry and Ministry of Interior spokesman Abu Bakr Abdel-Karim, have dismissed these allegations.

Regeni, 28, arrived in Cairo in September of last year to carry out field research on Egyptian trade unions for his PhD at Cambridge University.

Several Egyptians and foreigners gathered outside the Italian embassy in Cairo on Saturday to lay flowers in Regeni’s memory.

President Abdel Fattah El Sisi also expressed his condolences to Italy’s Prime Minister over the phone, ensuring that the investigation will receive the “utmost attention” from the “competent authorities.

UK Trade Envoy Arrives in Egypt to Strengthen Economic, Trade Relations
Zamalek Sporting Club Remembers 20 Fans Killed in Egypt 'Stadium Massacre'

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

14 Fully Intact and Sealed Coffins Discovered after 2,500 Years in Egypt’s Saqqara

Amina ZaineldineSeptember 21, 2020

Egyptian ‘TikTok’ Star Menna Abdel Aziz Released: Lawyers

Egyptian StreetsSeptember 18, 2020

Egypt Braces for Second Wave of COVID-19 with 4-Part Public Health Plan

Egyptian StreetsSeptember 16, 2020

Sinai Development Projects Target 26 Bedouin Communities to Invest in Human Potential

Egyptian StreetsSeptember 15, 2020

Egyptian TV Presenter Radwa El Sherbiny Under Investigation for ‘Hate Speech’ Against Non-Hijabis

Egyptian StreetsSeptember 14, 2020

Four Ways for the Middle East to Recover Post COVID-19

Eman Magdy KharoshahSeptember 13, 2020

Everything You Need to Know About the Ministry of Education’s New Plan for the Academic Year

Hana SabahSeptember 10, 2020

Squash Coach Faces Trial for Sexually Assaulting 3 Underage Girls: Egypt’s Public Prosecution

Egyptian StreetsSeptember 9, 2020