News

Nadeem Center Issues New Report on Interior Ministry Violations Amid Government-Ordered Closure

Nadeem Center Issues New Report on Interior Ministry Violations Amid Government-Ordered Closure

FotorCreated

Despite the order last month by Egyptian authorities to shut down the NGO Nadeem Center for the Rehabilitation of Victims of Torture, the Center published a new report on Monday documenting human rights violations carried out by the Interior Ministry throughout February.

The report, which is based on social media posts and media reports, highlights cases of killings by security forces, the police and the army, as well as torture, deaths in detention centers and enforced disappearances.

In February alone, 111 people were killed, including 65 extrajudicial killings, 35 aerial bombardments, eight quarrels between citizens and low-ranking policemen and one case of torture, in addition to one death caused by the victim being thrown off a building.

Also, the report registered 155 cases of enforced disappearances – including the widely reported case of Italian student Guilio Regeni – and 44 cases of medical negligence in detention centers.

Amid conflicting reports about whether the Nadeem Center were to be shut down, Egypt’s Ministry of Health said on 22 February in a statement that the decision to close the NGO is “final.”

Aida Seif el-Dawla, director of the center, told Reuters that the move should be seen in the context of the government’s recent crackdown on civil society organizations and domestic opposition generally.

Nadeem Center for the Rehabilitation for Victims of Violence and Torture is an independent NGO established in 1993 that initially aimed to provide psychological rehabilitation to victims of torture and produce sporadic medico-legal reports. It went on to organize public campaigns and has mobilized societal support against the authorities’ practice of torture and other human rights violations.

International Airlines Threaten to Suspend Egypt Ticket Sales Over Revenue Repatriation Issues
Military Loan Agreement With France Approved by Egypt’s Parliament

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Head of Supreme Council for Media Approves the Ban Decision of the 21 News Websites

Egyptian StreetsMay 25, 2017

Mada Masr Publishes Content on Social Media Temporarily in Face of News Websites Ban

Egyptian StreetsMay 25, 2017

Egypt Pours €360 Million into Renewing Alexandria’s Tram Network

Egyptian StreetsMay 25, 2017

Egypt Bans 21 News Websites, Including Mada Masr, on Claims of ‘Supporting Terrorism’

Engy AdhamMay 24, 2017

Rights Lawyer Khaled Ali Released on Bail Pending Trial

Engy AdhamMay 24, 2017

Rights Lawyer and Former Presidential Candidate Khaled Ali Held Overnight Pending Investigations

Egyptian StreetsMay 23, 2017

Egyptian Authorities Demolish Ras Sudr Kiteloop Camp, Other Attractions For ‘Violating State Property’

Egyptian StreetsMay 23, 2017

ISIS Claims Responsibility For Manchester Arena Attack

Egyptian StreetsMay 23, 2017
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.