News

Egypt Authorities Order Removal of Popular Restaurant Complex in Upscale Zamalek District

Egypt Authorities Order Removal of Popular Restaurant Complex in Upscale Zamalek District

 

اليوم و بأمر مباشر من وزير الري تم هدم فرع wel3a الكائن بclub33 في الزمالك مع ان المكان مرخص. هذا هو تشجيع الاستثمارات الشابة و تقليل البطالة. وبذلك سيتم تشريد أكثر من 40 عامل في فرعنا و إضاعة استثمارات بملايين. شكرا للدولة و سكان الزمالك و كل من يريد إيجاد مشاكل بدون أن إيجاد حلول. #تحيا_مصر #مصر_ولعة

Posted by Amro Elfiky on Monday, March 7, 2016

Local security forces demolished the Club 33 restaurant complex in Cairo’s upscale Zamalek district on Monday, acting on orders from Egypt’s authorities.

According to reports, several of Zamalek’s residents had complained about the restaurant complex and investigations found that the complex was running illegally and without the proper licensing.

Amro Elfiky, owner of Wel3a, one of the cafés in Club 33, denied allegations that his café was unlicensed and told CairoScene that the security forces presented no warrants at the time of demolition and only said that they were acting on orders from the Governor of Cairo and the Minister of Irrigation.

The demolition was met with mixed reactions, with some hailing the authorities’ decision to remove the restaurant complex as a “blessing” and others decrying it as a “mess.”

Facebook page “Zamalek Community” claimed that Club 33 was polluting the Nile and that the shisha (hookah) provided by many of the cafés and restaurants in the complex was contributing to the area’s air pollution.

However, the page conceded that “although the decision for removing “Club 33″ was right, the way it was handled by the government was wrong,” saying that the owners should have received prior notification.

Elfiky, meanwhile, took to Facebook to post a video of the demolition, saying that the move will put 40 employees out of a job and waste “millions” in investments.

Local authorities previously cracked down on unlicensed cafés in Zamalek several years ago, leading to the temporary and permanent shuttering of several popular destinations.

Egypt's Parliament Drafting Law to 'Ban Niqab in Public Places'
Egypt Announces Ahmed Aboul-Gheit as Nominee for Next Arab League Chief

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

ISIS Claims Responsibility for Egypt’s Minya Attack

Egyptian StreetsMay 27, 2017

Eiffel Tower Goes Dark as World Leaders Condemn Attack in Egypt’s Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 27, 2017

ISIS Attempts to Erupt Sectarian Violence Between Egypt’s Muslims and Christians: Al-Sisi

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Egypt Bombs Terrorists in Libya Following Massacre of 28 Coptic Christians in Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Egypt Identifies a 2-Year-Old as the Youngest Victim of the Minya Bus Attack

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Daily News Egypt Confirms Technical Issue with the Website

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

28 Killed, Including Children, in Attack on Bus Carrying Coptic Christians in Egypt’s Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Head of Supreme Council for Media Approves the Ban Decision of the 21 News Websites

Egyptian StreetsMay 25, 2017
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.