News

Non-Governmental Italian Tourism Association ‘Suspends All Activities’ in Egypt Over Regeni’s Death

Non-Governmental Italian Tourism Association ‘Suspends All Activities’ in Egypt Over Regeni’s Death

FotorCreated

By Aswat Masriya

An Italian tourism association decided on Thursday to suspend all activities, especially the travel programs, in Egypt until the story behind Guilio Regeni’s death is “clarified.”

Regeni, a 28-year-old Italian Ph.D. student in Cambridge University, disappeared on January 25, marking the fifth anniversary of the 2011 Uprising that led Mubarak to step down after his 30-year rule. Ten days after his disappearance, his tortured body was found alongside Cairo-Alexandria Desert Road, bearing signs of torture.

The non-governmental and non-profit Italian Association for Responsible Tourism said in a statement that “Egypt is a wonderful country that offers great cultural attractions,” but a vacation “ is not possible in the context of pain and indignation.”

Last month, Egypt’s interior ministry claimed to have killed a gang of four men, in a shootout, suspected of being behind Regeni’s death.

In a statement, the ministry said that the gang members specialized in “impersonating policemen, kidnapping foreigners and stealing their money.”

Italian investigators however expressed their suspicion over Egypt’s claims and said that the case is “far from closed,” reported Italian news agency ANSA.

Citing the investigators, ANSA pointed to “inconsistencies” in Egypt’s version of the story, as it is “unlikely” for the alleged kidnappers to hold on to evidence condemning them such as Regeni’s passport for so long, and were also “unlikely” to have tortured the Ph.D. student for over a week.

Regeni’s mother, Paola Deffendi, entrusted the Italian government to firmly respond to the death of her son, in case Egypt fails to provide convincing answers, reported ANSA.

She told a press conference at the Senate in Rome on March 29 that the death of Regeni “is not an isolated case” as the Egyptian government says.

Earlier in March, the European Parliament passed a non-binding resolution condemning the human rights situation in Egypt with particular emphasis on Regeni’s case.

The parliament, accordingly, called for the “suspension of any form of security cooperation and assistance with Egyptian authorities, as long as its security apparatus continues to fuel radicalism and violent extremism through its systematic violations committed in full-impunity.”

Egypt however rejected the parliament’s statements and said they are not backed by “any evidence.”

US Congressional Delegation Meets Sisi, Stresses Importance of Egypt's Stability
Construction of Egypt's New Capital City Kicks Off

Subscribe to our newsletter


News
@AswatMasriya_En

Aswat Masriya is a Thomson Reuters Foundation-sponsored website that covers Egypt's transition to democracy. en.aswatmasriya.com

More in News

Mo Salah Honoured with Wax Statue at Madame Tussauds in London

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 25, 2020

Online Training Launched to Encourage Egyptian Women’s Participation in Local Councils

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 23, 2020

Everything You Need to Know About the Coronavirus Outbreak

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 22, 2020

Egyptian MP Proposes Bill to Criminalize Child Marriage

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 21, 2020

Number of Minya Microbus Crash Victims Soars to 5, 16 Injured

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 17, 2020

Come June, King Tut Treasures To Be Exhibited in Boston

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 16, 2020

GERD Talks Yield Initial Agreement on Filling Plan

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 16, 2020

4 Egyptian Fishermen Rescued After Being Lost at Sea for a Week

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 14, 2020