News

Egypt Parliament to Form Committee to Review Red Sea Islands Agreement

Egypt Parliament to Form Committee to Review Red Sea Islands Agreement

pablo (65)

Egypt’s House of Representatives will form a committee to review Egypt’s recent agreement to cede control of the Red Sea islands of Tiran and Sanafir to Saudi Arabia, privately-owned Al-Masry Al-Youm reported.

Member of Parliament Soliman Wahdan said that the House has yet to receive the official documents relating to the agreement but will “immediately” form a committee to review all documents and decide whether or not to ratify the agreement. Wahdan also said that whether or not a public referendum will be held remains in the parliament’s hands.

“The case of ceding control of Tiran and Sanafir to Saudi Arabia is important to the entire Egyptian population, and this importance is carried from the population to its representatives, the parliament,” Wahdan said.

He added that, if the parliament finds that the islands are indeed Saudi Arabian, the MPs “will ratify the agreement immediately.”

Meanwhile, parliamentarian Mahmoud El Sherif told Aswat Masriya that the parliament’s verdict on the agreement will not be affected by the flow of several billion dollars of Saudi Arabian aid to Egypt.

Last week, Egypt declared the two islands as Saudi Arabian, saying that negotiations had taken place over the past six years to return the islands to Saudi Arabia.

Despite the Egyptian government’s defense of the decision, many people, including prominent Egyptians, have seen the declaration as “selling the country” to Saudi Arabia, arguing that the islands are Egyptian.

Meanwhile, in a speech addressing members of parliament and the Egyptian people, President Sisi said the move was supported by decades of state documents.

“The decision [to acknowledge the Saudi claim] was made through documents with the Egyptian state institutions such as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Defence and the General Intelligence Service; we also stuck to the 1990 presidential decree which was submitted to the United Nations,” Al-Sisi said in a televised meeting attended by state officials and public figures.

Several hundred protesters gathered on Friday in front of Cairo’s Press Syndicate building and in various other cities around the country to denounce the agreement, particularly the lack of transparency in the proceedings. Protesters also began calling for the “downfall of the regime” and President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi’s resignation.

Security forces blockaded the demonstration in an attempt to stop more protestors from joining, deploying tanks in nearby areas, according to Al Masry Al Yom. Police forces had fired tear gas and dispersed a protest earlier at Mostafa Mahmoud Street.

State-owned Al-Ahram reported that a total of 100 people, including journalists, were detained across nine governorates on Friday.

Despite the clashes with security forces, protesters have vowed to gather for another demonstration on April 25, which marks Sinai Liberation Day and is a national holiday in Egypt.

26 People Under Investigation by Cairo Prosecutors for Protesting Red Sea Islands Decision
Pope Francis Returns From Greece With 12 Syrian Refugees

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Egypt Constructs World’s Largest Solar Park

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 24, 2018

Tourists Gather to Watch Alignment of the Sun on Ramses II Statue in Aswan

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 22, 2018

Egyptian Female Wins Her Case Against a Harasser in Determination to Fight Sexual Harassment

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 22, 2018

Egypt has ‘Nothing to Hide’: Al-Sisi Comments on the $US 15 Billion Natural Gas Deal with Israel

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 22, 2018

New Zoo Established in Cairo’s International Garden in Attempt to Expand Egypt’s Green Spaces

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 21, 2018

Saudi Women to Own Businesses Without Male Consent Following a Royal Decree Allowing Women to Drive

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 21, 2018

Israel Signs $US 15 Billion Deal to Export Natural Gas to Egypt

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 20, 2018

Egyptian Court Adds Former Presidential Candidate Abdel Monem Aboul Fotouh to Terror List

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 20, 2018
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.