News

Italian Delegation to Visit Egypt to Discuss Regeni Investigation

Italian Delegation to Visit Egypt to Discuss Regeni Investigation

regeni

A delegation from Italy will travel to Cairo in the coming days to discuss with Egyptian representatives the ongoing investigation into the murder of Italian student Giulio Regeni.

Judicial sources told Italian newspapers ANSA that a new set of meetings will take place “in the next few days” between Egypt and Italy regarding the Regeni case, following a request by Egyptian Prosecutor General Ahmed Nabil Sadek.

Meanwhile, on Wednesday Italy received the phone records of some of the 13 Egyptian citizens Regeni had been in contact with prior to his death, which Italy previously had requested. Egyptian authorities had up until now refused to hand over the phone records, claiming it would contradict Egypt’s constitution.

In a separate development, Egypt’s Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry said in a statement released by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday that he was “concerned by the tone” of recent remarks made by his Italian counterpart Paolo Gentiloni.

“I have followed the Italian Foreign Minister’s remarks that were made on more than one occasion during the past period, and I am concerned by the tone of these statements, as they do not reflect recognition of shared interests between the two countries, nor the amount of cooperation shown by the Egyptian side concerning this incident from the very beginning, but rather they reflect the interests of one side,” Shoukry said.

Last month, Italy’s Foreign Minister warned Egypt that his country is prepared to take “immediate and appropriate” measures if Egyptian authorities failed to speed up the pace of the investigation into the student’s death. During the same month, Italy recalled its ambassador in Cairo for “consultations” because of what the country considered to be the slow speed of the investigation.

Regeni, 28, was researching the sensitive topic of independent trade unions in Egypt when he was abducted on 25 January from central Cairo on the fifth anniversary of the 2011 uprising. His severely tortured and mutilated body was later discovered in a ditch in the outskirts of the city.

Human rights groups claim the torture marks found on the student’s body are reminiscent of methods used by Egyptian security forces. Egyptian officials have consistently denied that he was detained by police or was under surveillance in any way during his stay in Egypt.

President Sisi Extends State of Emergency in Parts of Egypt’s North Sinai for 3 Months
'Techne Summit’ to Kick Off in Alexandria, Gathering Innovators From Across the Globe

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Egypt’s 2019/2020 Financial Budget: A Quick Explainer

Egyptian StreetsJune 25, 2019

Egypt’s Assiut University Opens Door to Sudanese Students Amid Conflict

Egyptian StreetsJune 24, 2019

Palestine Calls New US Economic Plan “Second Balfour Declaration”

Egyptian StreetsJune 23, 2019

Egypt’s Parliament to Establish a New Law to Fight Fake Products and Brands

Egyptian StreetsJune 23, 2019

Iran Will ‘Confront’ Any American Aggression Amid Growing Tensions

Egyptian StreetsJune 22, 2019

Mahmoud Trezeguet Scores First Goal For Egypt at AFCON

Egyptian StreetsJune 21, 2019

Four Teenagers Spared Detention After Attack On Egyptian Student in 2018

Egyptian StreetsJune 21, 2019

Long-Awaited Naguib Mahfouz Museum to Open End of June

Egyptian StreetsJune 19, 2019
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.