News

Italy to Take “Immediate” Measures if Giulio Regeni Case Remains Unsolved

Italy to Take “Immediate” Measures if Giulio Regeni Case Remains Unsolved

Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 8.43.08 PM

Italy said on Tuesday that “immediate and proportionate” measures would be taken if the Egyptian government fails to cooperate in revealing the truth about the murder of Italian PhD student Giulio Regeni, according to Reuters.

“If there is not a change in tack [on the part of Egypt], the government is ready to react, adopting measures that are both immediate and proportionate,” Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni told the Italian parliament.

Although the minister did not provide any further details as to the specific measures that would be taken, last month the head of the Italian Senate’s human rights commission, Luigi Manconi, called on the Italian government to return Italy’s ambassador to Cairo for “consultations” in order to put further pressure on the Egyptian government.

Egypt’s foreign ministry spokesman Ahmed Abu Zeid responded to Gentiloni’s comments by saying that Egypt has refrained from responding to the Italian minister’s comments “in light of the strong and diverse historic relations between Egypt and Italy on the official and popular levels.” Abu Zeid added that Gentiloni’s speech comes one day prior to the scheduled arrival of the Egyptian investigative team in Italy to present the developments in the Regeni case.

On Monday, Reuters had quoted Egyptian officials as saying they were indefinitely postponing the scheduled meeting, which was set to take place on Tuesday.

Giulio Regeni, 28, disappeared on January 25, the fifth anniversary of the 2011 uprising, and was later found dead with obvious signs of torture on his body. Human rights groups claim the torture marks are reminiscent of methods used by Egyptian security forces.

Last month, Egyptian authorities claimed that a “gang” specializing in kidnapping and scamming foreigners while posing as policemen was responsible for the murder of the Italian student. Italian investigators rejected the claims, saying there are “inconsistencies” in Egypt’s narrative of the events.

Egypt and Saudi Arabia to Sign $US 21.5 Billion in Agreements
Egypt Officials Attempt to Shut Down El Nadeem Center ‘Without Showing Formal Closure Order’

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

700 Sentenced to Year in Prison in ‘Rabaa Dispersal’ Case for ‘Insulting Judicial System’

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 26, 2017

British Foreign Minister Visits Egypt Amid Calls to Shed Light on Human Rights Situation

Seif GhallabFebruary 25, 2017

More than 300 Coptic Christians Flee Egypt’s North Sinai

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 25, 2017

Tourists Visiting Egypt Face Increased Visa Fees

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 25, 2017

Egypt’s Foreign Minister to Head to Washington to prepare for Al-Sisi’s visit

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 24, 2017

After Saudi Arabia Turned it Down, Iraq to Supply Egypt with 1 Million Oil Barrels a Month

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 24, 2017

Alexandria’s Governor Intervenes to Save Sea Turtles from Illegal Poaching

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 24, 2017

Egypt is Arming South Sudan: President Omar al-Bashir

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 23, 2017
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 ES Media UG. All Rights Reserved.