News

18 Detained for Involvement in Sectarian Violence in Egypt’s Beni Suef

18 Detained for Involvement in Sectarian Violence in Egypt’s Beni Suef

A sabotaged church in Dalja, Minya governorate, 2013 (Photo: Lovers of Bishop Raphael Facebook page)
A sabotaged church in Dalja, Minya governorate, 2013 (Photo: Lovers of Bishop Raphael Facebook page)

18 Egyptians were detained on Sunday over the latest incident of sectarian violence in Egypt’s Beni Suef, state-owned Ahram Online reported.

The detainees are facing charges of “disrupting public peace and assaulting personal freedoms,” as well as “damaging the house and a car of a Coptic villager” after they threw rocks at a Christian-owned building in Beni Suef that was rumored to be turned into a church without a license.

Incidents of sectarian violence against the country’s Coptic Christian citizens – who comprise approximately 16 percent of Egypt’s population – have spiked in recent weeks.

In May, an elderly Christian woman was stripped and dragged through the streets through the streets of her village in the province of Minya over rumors that her son had an affair with a Muslim woman. During the same month, 300 people attacked and burned down Christians’ homes in another village in Minya.

Earlier this month, a Christian priest said that the family of another priest was attacked and one of their neighbors killed by Muslim youths following a quarrel in Minya.

The Egyptian Initiative for Personal Initiative (EIPR) released a statement expressing “deep disturbance” over the recent spike in sectarian violence in the province, which lies in Upper Egypt.

Speaking at the graduation ceremony of the military academy on Thursday, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi urged national unity in the face of the ongoing sectarian clashes and vowed to hold accountable the perpetrators of violence in Minya.

Egyptian Media Says Sisi's Absence at Arab Summit Due to Assassination Plot, Presidency Denies
UK Shifts Policy on Egypt's Human Rights as 'Situation Deteriorates'

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Gunmen Attack a Bus Carrying Christians Killing 26 and Injuring 24 in Menya Governorate

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Head of Supreme Council for Media Approves the Ban Decision of the 21 News Websites

Egyptian StreetsMay 25, 2017

Mada Masr Publishes Content on Social Media Temporarily in Face of News Websites Ban

Egyptian StreetsMay 25, 2017

Egypt Pours €360 Million into Renewing Alexandria’s Tram Network

Egyptian StreetsMay 25, 2017

Egypt Bans 21 News Websites, Including Mada Masr, on Claims of ‘Supporting Terrorism’

Engy AdhamMay 24, 2017

Rights Lawyer Khaled Ali Released on Bail Pending Trial

Engy AdhamMay 24, 2017

Rights Lawyer and Former Presidential Candidate Khaled Ali Held Overnight Pending Investigations

Egyptian StreetsMay 23, 2017

Egyptian Authorities Demolish Ras Sudr Kiteloop Camp, Other Attractions For ‘Violating State Property’

Egyptian StreetsMay 23, 2017
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.