News

Al-Azhar Rejects ‘Pre-Written Friday Sermons’ in Egypt

Al-Azhar Rejects ‘Pre-Written Friday Sermons’ in Egypt

sisiazhar

Al-Azhar, the top Sunni Islamic authority, rejected on Tuesday an Egyptian government order that all Muslim clerics deliver identical and pre-written Friday sermons.

Citing “damage to religious discourse,” Al-Azhar’s Council of Senior Scholars, which is headed by Grand Sheikh Ahmed al-Tayeb, rejected the policy which was implemented by Egypt’s Ministry of Religious Endowments.

The Council said that relying on pre-written sermons makes imams less capable at their jobs and hinders their ability to counter extremism.

Instead, the Council recommended that imams should be provided with greater training and capabilities to tackle extremism.

The Council’s recommendation comes days after the President of Al-Azhar Univeristy ignored the pre-written sermon and delivered his own, arguing that the policy does not apply to Al-Azhar’s preachers.

Despite the statement by the Council, Egypt’s Ministry of Religious Endowments said it would move ahead with the identical sermons.

Less than two weeks after Egypt’s Ministry of Religious Endowments ordered all Muslim clerics to deliver identical, pre-written Friday sermons, Al-Azhar, the top Sunni Islamic authority, rejected the move.

The policy was introduced to tackle extremist religious discourse, something that President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi has repeatedly stressed.

Last month, the Egyptian President renewed calls for a revolution in Islamic religious discourse, urging top Islamic scholars to “purge” Islam of “flaws” and to push back against extremist discourse.

In February 2014, Egypt’s Religious Endowments Ministry ordered that all Friday sermons at mosques be regulated by the government. The then-new policy saw a topic being chosen by the Ministry each week for imams to talk about.

Egypt Urges Investigation After Egyptian 'Killed' in German Prison
Egypt Stocks Rally on News of IMF $12 Billion Loan Talks

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

ISIS Attempts to Erupt Sectarian Violence Between Egypt’s Muslims and Christians: Al-Sisi

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Egypt Bombs Terrorists in Libya Following Massacre of 28 Coptic Christians in Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Egypt Identifies a 2-Year-Old as the Youngest Victim of the Minya Bus Attack

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Daily News Egypt Confirms Technical Issue with the Website

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

28 Killed, Including Children, in Attack on Bus Carrying Coptic Christians in Egypt’s Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Head of Supreme Council for Media Approves the Ban Decision of the 21 News Websites

Egyptian StreetsMay 25, 2017

Mada Masr Publishes Content on Social Media Temporarily in Face of News Websites Ban

Egyptian StreetsMay 25, 2017

Egypt Pours €360 Million into Renewing Alexandria’s Tram Network

Egyptian StreetsMay 25, 2017
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.