News

Egypt’s President Sisi Calls for ‘Maximum Vigilance’ After Brigadier General Killed in Cairo

Egypt’s President Sisi Calls for ‘Maximum Vigilance’ After Brigadier General Killed in Cairo

adel

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi ordered the Ministries of Defense and Interior to exercise maximum vigilance and increase security at all key public institutions after a high ranking army officer was killed outside his home in Cairo.

President Sisi met with top Egyptian security officials shortly after the attack and said that Egypt would not forget the sacrifices of all those who have given their life for Egypt.

On Saturday, Brigadier General Adel Rajaei, a commander of an armored division, was gunned down outside his home in Obour City on the outskirts of Cairo.

Adel Rajaei’s wife, Samia Zein Al-Abedeen, told the media that he was shot in the head by multiple gunmen who had been waiting outside. The army officer’s private guard and personal driver were also injured.

It is unclear who is responsible for the attack. A group calling itself Lewaa Al-Thawra claimed responsibility shortly before their Twitter account was suspended. However, there have been no confirmations of the claim.

Since the ouster of former President Mohammed Morsi in July 2013, a number of assassinations and attempted assassinations have taken place in Egypt. Most recently, Ali Gomaa, the former mufti, survived an assassination attempt that was later blamed by security forces on a member of the Muslim Brotherhood.

Egyptian President Sisi's Approval Ratings Fall to 68%: Baseera
Egypt Court Releases Mother of Suez FGM Victim, Postpones Trial to November

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Egypt Offers Free Train Seats for Cancer Patients

Egyptian StreetsJune 19, 2018

Man Killed While Swimming in Luxurious Hacienda Bay

Seif GhallabJune 17, 2018

Fuel Price Hike Prompts Increase in Public Transportation Fares

Egyptian StreetsJune 17, 2018

Fuel and Cooking Gas Prices Surge In Egypt

Jana Bou MatarJune 16, 2018

“Egypt Won!”: Egyptians ‘Proud’ Despite World Cup Loss to Uruguay

Egyptian StreetsJune 16, 2018

Egypt Loses 1-0 to Uruguay in Tense Performance

Egyptian StreetsJune 15, 2018

Mohamed Salah ‘Not Among Starting XI’ in Uruguay World Cup Match

Egyptian StreetsJune 15, 2018

Mo Salah Will Play in Egypt – Uruguay Match of World Cup

Sara AhmedJune 14, 2018
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.