News

11 Sentenced to Death for Port Said Massacre, Celebrations Held

11 Sentenced to Death for Port Said Massacre, Celebrations Held

A mother of one of those killed marking the fourth anniversary of the Port Said massacre in 2012.

The Cairo Cassation Court refused Monday the appeal against handing the death sentence to 11 of the accused in what is known as “the Port Said Massacre”, which left 74 football fans dead.

The court also sentenced 10 defendants to 15 years in maximum security prison. One of the defendants, Port Said’s former security director and the chairman of Port Said’s Masry club, had been previously acquitted.

The massacre dates back to 2012, when during a football match at Port Said Stadium between Al-Ahly and Al-Masry Sporting Clubs, the fans of the latter Sporting Club attacked Al-Ahly fans, with no intervention from the security personnel.

Following the latest court decision, the mothers of those killed walked around the streets and cheered from above Kasr Al-Nile Bridge in celebration.

The ruling came the same month as the anniversary of the incident. Earlier in February, Al-Ahly Sporting Club fans, Ultras Ahlawy, canceled a gathering to mark the fifth anniversary of the 2012 Port Said Massacre as they claimed in a statement  that they received threats from Interior Ministry.

In matches prior to the one in question, Ultras Ahlawy had chanted against  Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, which took charge of Egypt after the toppling of President Hosni Mubarak in 2011.

 

 

Globally Renowned Consulting Firms to Lead Reform of Egypt's Ministry of Petroleum
ISIS Releases Video Threatening Egypt’s Christians, Showing Church Bomber

Subscribe to our newsletter


News
@AyaNaderM

Aya Nader is an independent journalist based in Egypt, published in Open Democracy, Daily News Egypt, The National, and Al-Monitor, among others. She is an MA candidate in International Relations at the American University in Cairo.

More in News

Mohamed Salah Stands by Controversial Amr Warda Comments in New CNN Interview

Egyptian StreetsAugust 20, 2019

Egyptian Eco-Startup and Banque du Caire Launch Campaign to Clean Up Sahel’s Beaches

Egyptian StreetsAugust 20, 2019

Baron Palace Will Open its Doors in October 2019

Nour EltiganiAugust 19, 2019

Egypt’s Handball Champions Awarded Just $90 Dollars for Historic Victory by Federation

Egyptian StreetsAugust 19, 2019

Egypt U19 Handball Team Beat Germany to Become World Champions

Egyptian StreetsAugust 18, 2019

This Year’s Round of ‘ProGirls’ Initiative Begins in Cairo and Alexandria

Egyptian StreetsAugust 18, 2019

First Time Ever: Egypt Reach U-19 Handball World Championship Finals

Egyptian StreetsAugust 18, 2019

Cairo University Jumps 100 Ranks in 2019 Shanghai Academic Ranking

Egyptian StreetsAugust 17, 2019
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.