News

Italian Prosecutor in Cairo Discussing Regeni Case

Italian Prosecutor in Cairo Discussing Regeni Case

A man holds a placard during a vigil to commemorate Giulio Regeni, who was found murdered in Cairo a year ago, in downtown Rome, Italy January 25, 2017. Photo Credit: REUTERS/Alessandro Bianchi

Egypt’s public prosecutor Nabil Sadek met on Thursday with his Italian counterpart Giuseppe Pignatone in Cairo for discussions of developments into the brutal murder of Italian PhD researcher Giulio Regeni last year in Cairo, a joint statement by the prosecutors said.

The meeting dealt with the latest details emerging from the ongoing investigation, particularly discussing the work in retrieving security camera footage recorded at Cairo’s Dokki Metro station allegedly showing the Italian student the same night of his death on January 25 2016.

Pignatone also handed over a report to the Egyptian prosecution that had been prepared by the Italian police based on documents previously shared by Egypt with Italy.

During a meeting earlier this week between president Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and Italy’s Interior Minister Marco Minniti, the Egyptian leader emphasized his country’s “sincere determination” to get to the bottom of the murder of Regeni.

Giulio Regeni, a Cambridge University PhD candidate, was a visiting student at The American University in Cairo (AUC) researching labor rights in Egypt.

He went missing in Cairo on 25th January, on the anniversary of the Egyptian uprising, on his way to meet a friend. His body, baring hallmarks of extreme torture, was later discovered in a roadside ditch. Egypt has yet to release any information about who murdered him and whether any authorities were involved.

The case has sparked international attention on human rights violations in Egypt and has also strained the traditionally close relationship between Egypt and Italy.

Egyptian authorities have agreed to extend the investigation into the death of Regeni following pressure from Rome.

In March, the family of the PhD candidate appealed to Pope Francis to raise Regeni’s case with Egypt during his visit to the country. Pope Francis has expressed his concern regarding the development of the case of Regeni, and affirmed that he has moved on the topic.

According to police and intelligence sources speaking to by Reuters news agency, Egyptian police detained the Italian student “as part of a security sweep” prior to his murder.

Regeni was picked up near Gamal Abdel Nasser metro station in downtown Cairo by plainclothes police officers on January 25, and taken to Izbakiya police station, the report said.

After being held at the police station for 30 minutes, he was then transferred to a state security compound run by Homeland Security. The sources did not clarify to Reuters what happened to Regeni following his transfer to the state security compound.

Egypt’s Ministry of Interior has categorically denied that Egyptian authorities were involved in Regeni’s murder, slamming the Reuters report as ‘unfounded’ and ‘false’.

 

'Between Tradition and Modernity' Conference Explores Egypt’s Culture and History
Despite Trump's Threats, UN Passes Resolution Rejecting His Jerusalem Move

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Tourists Gather to Watch Alignment of the Sun on Ramses II Statue in Aswan

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 22, 2018

Egyptian Female Wins Her Case Against a Harasser in Determination to Fight Sexual Harassment

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 22, 2018

Egypt has ‘Nothing to Hide’: Al-Sisi Comments on the $US 15 Billion Natural Gas Deal with Israel

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 22, 2018

New Zoo Established in Cairo’s International Garden in Attempt to Expand Egypt’s Green Spaces

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 21, 2018

Saudi Women to Own Businesses Without Male Consent Following a Royal Decree Allowing Women to Drive

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 21, 2018

Israel Signs $US 15 Billion Deal to Export Natural Gas to Egypt

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 20, 2018

Egyptian Court Adds Former Presidential Candidate Abdel Monem Aboul Fotouh to Terror List

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 20, 2018

Khaled Ali Resigns from ‘Bread and Liberty’ Party After Sexual Harassment Accusations

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 20, 2018
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.