International

Guilio Regeni Case: Egyptian Prosecutor General Shares Cairo Metro Videos with Italian Counterpart

mm
Guilio Regeni Case: Egyptian Prosecutor General Shares Cairo Metro Videos with Italian Counterpart

Photo Credit: Unknown.

In the latest development in the Giulio Regeni case, the Egyptian prosecutor general has agreed to give the Italian prosecutor recorded videos from the Cairo Metro camera in relation to the case of the alleged abduction and murder of Regeni. The videos are accompanied by other documents related to the case.

In a press release published on Tuesday, Nabil Sadek, the prosecutor general said that throughout the previous days “several meetings were held between the Egyptian and Italian investigative teams, and the recordings were retrieved by the most advanced scientific techniques”.

This comes two weeks after the Italian news agency Ansa has reported that a Russian team has been tasked by both the Egyptian and Italian authorities to retrieve the Cairo Metro videos on the day of Regeni’s disappearance (25th of January 2016).

Regeni is a Cambridge University, Italian student who did his research on independent labor unions in Egypt. He disappeared on the 25th of January 2016, and 9 days later, his body was found near Alexandria-Cairo highway bearing severe marks of torture: two dozen broken bones, as well as bruises and burn marks.

The Egyptian government has consistently denied its involvement in the murder of Regeni, but Reuters has reported that the head of the Egyptian union for independent vendors has reported Regeni to the police weeks before his arrest.  According to the same Reuters report, Regeni was then subjected to security “checks” by the police.

Italy’s top prosecutor Giuseppe Pignatone also previously stated that Italian PhD researcher Giulio Regeni was murdered because of his research into Egypt’s independent labor unions.

The Egyptian police had killed 5 men whom it accused of abducting, torturing and killing Regeni.  It claimed to have found Regeni’s personal belongings in one of the murdered men’s house. The police also called them a gang who target and kill foreigners. This claim was challenged by the Italian authorities leading to a diplomatic rift between the two nations. A New York Times report later shows that the Egyptian Prosecutor General told his Italian counterpart that two Egyptian members of the police were charged for the murder of the 5 men.

Last year, Regeni’s family appealed to Pope Francis to raise Regini’s case with Egypt. The case has sparked international attention on human rights violations in Egypt. Furthermore, the case has strained the traditionally close relationship between Egypt and Italy due to the lack of progress holding those responsible accountable.

 

 

Egyptian Educational System To End by 2026: Minster of Education
8 Militants and 2 Conscripts Killed in Sinai Operation

Subscribe to our newsletter


International

More in International

Egyptian Woman Becomes Country’s First Flight Attendant with Down Syndrome

Egyptian StreetsDecember 5, 2019

Tunisia Becomes First Country in the MENA Region to Introduce Sex Ed in Schools

Egyptian StreetsDecember 3, 2019

Sudan Abolishes its Public Order Law in a Move Towards Women Empowerment

Egyptian StreetsNovember 29, 2019

Biblioteca Alexandrina Glows in Orange Lights to Combat Violence Against Women and Girls

Egyptian StreetsNovember 26, 2019

Cairo Rejects Pompeo’s Statement Legalizing Israeli Settlements

Egyptian StreetsNovember 19, 2019

Reema Juffali Makes History as Saudi Arabia’s First Female Racing Driver

Egyptian StreetsNovember 16, 2019

‘Climate Change Is the Next ISIS’: Meet the World Economic Forum’s First Iraqi Female Board Member

Niveen GhoneimNovember 11, 2019

Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia to Attempt Reaching Final Agreement for GERD by January 15

Egyptian StreetsNovember 7, 2019