News

Egypt’s Interior Minister Says Hamas, Muslim Brotherhood Behind Prosecutor General’s Assassination

Egypt’s Interior Minister Says Hamas, Muslim Brotherhood Behind Prosecutor General’s Assassination

A view shows burnt cars at the site of a car bomb attacked the convoy of Egyptian public prosecutor Hisham Barakat near his house at Heliopolis district in Cairo, June 29, 2015.  REUTERS/Mohamed Abd El Ghany
A view shows burnt cars at the site of a car bomb attacked the convoy of Egyptian public prosecutor Hisham Barakat near his house at Heliopolis district in Cairo, June 29, 2015. REUTERS/Mohamed Abd El Ghany

Egypt’s Interior Minister Magdy Abdel Ghaffar said that the Muslim Brotherhood and Hamas were behind the assassination of Egyptian Prosecutor-General Hisham Barakat in June 2015, Ahram Online reported.

Speaking at a press conference on Sunday, Abdel Ghaffar said Muslim Brotherhood leaders in Turkey orchestrated the assassination, while Palestine-based Hamas “provided training for militants to execute it and also took part in planning it.”

Abdel Ghaffar also said that Barakat’s assassination was a result of a “major conspiracy targeting the Egyptian state” that has resulted in a number of militant attacks across the country.

Six individuals were detained on Saturday for 15 days pending investigations into their suspected connection to Barakat’s assassination, for which nobody has officially claimed responsibility for so far.

Bus Drivers in Alexandria Go on Strike Over Low Wages, Bonuses
Cairo's Upscale Gezira Club to 'Force' Nannies to Wear Uniforms

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Daily News Egypt ‘Blocked’ in Egypt

Egyptian StreetsMay 28, 2017

ISIS Claims Responsibility for Egypt’s Minya Attack

Egyptian StreetsMay 27, 2017

Eiffel Tower Goes Dark as World Leaders Condemn Attack in Egypt’s Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 27, 2017

ISIS Attempts to Erupt Sectarian Violence Between Egypt’s Muslims and Christians: Al-Sisi

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Egypt Bombs Terrorists in Libya Following Massacre of 28 Coptic Christians in Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Egypt Identifies a 2-Year-Old as the Youngest Victim of the Minya Bus Attack

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Daily News Egypt Confirms Technical Issue with the Website

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

28 Killed, Including Children, in Attack on Bus Carrying Coptic Christians in Egypt’s Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.