Russian officials have indicated that the resumption of flights to Egypt, which were stopped following the downing of a Russian airliner in October, will be postponed as a result of Tuesday’s hijacking of an EgyptAir passenger plane. Until an investigation has been carried out regarding the circumstances of the incident, it would be premature to say with certainty that air traffic between Russia and Egypt will be restored, presidential spokesperson Dimitry Peskov said, according to state-owned TASS. “So far, I consider it premature to think anything [on the resumption of air traffic]. Let us first get more or less reliable information [on the plane hijacking in Egypt],” Peskov told journalists Tuesday. “But we don’t know reliably what happened there, for what reasons and so on,” the Kremlin spokesman said, adding, “It would hardly be reasonable to make any hasty conclusions.” The head of the Russian tourism agency Rosturizm also expressed doubts about recommencing flights to Egypt, stating that Tuesday’s hijacking “should be taken into account” when making any decisions to resume air communications with Egypt. “The plane hijack affair is rather telling, I believe. I would avoid making any comments…
Resumption of Russian Flights to Egypt Postponed After EgyptAir Hijacking: Russian Officials
March 30, 2016
