International

Egypt’s First Nuclear Power Plant Construction to Begin in Two Years

Egypt’s First Nuclear Power Plant Construction to Begin in Two Years

Credit: Financial Times

Egypt announced on Sunday that construction of its first nuclear power plant will begin in the next two to two and a half years, according to Reuters.

The plant is to be built by Russian-owned construction company Rosatom, following an agreement in 2015 for Russia to build a nuclear power plant on the Egyptian soil after extending a loan for Egypt to cover the cost of construction.

The loan is said to be worth $25 billion and will finance 85 percent of the value of each work contract (including services and equipment shipping), with Egypt expected to fund the remaining 15 percent.

Among other benefits, the nuclear plant is said to have a 4,800-megawatt capacity. It is to be built in Dabaa, located in northern Egypt.

Egypt’s president Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi and Russia’s Vladimir Putin signed the deal back in December. The deal points to a better longstanding relationship between Russia and Egypt with Mr. Putin commenting “I am pleased to note that our economic ties are developing at a fairly high rate. We really have a lot of good projects ahead [including] the nuclear power plant,” as reported by the Financial Times.

Though the plant is said to bring economic growth and jobs to the Dabaa region, and Egypt as a whole, as well as providing a way for Egypt to meet its growing energy needs, the prospective nuclear plant has been met with considerable criticism. The general public as well as Greenpeace expressed Egypt’s need to be turning to renewable energy sources rather than a nuclear power plant, which isn’t as sustainable.

Although Egypt has traditionally depended heavily on oil and gas as its main energy supply, it is a strong candidate to become an clean-energy dependent country with plenty of land, sun and high wind speeds according to National Wind Atlas. The Egyptian government has recently steered its efforts towards constructing wind farms.

Figures released by the Ministry of Electricity and Renewable Energy stated that Egypt aims to generate 20% of its energy generation from renewable sources by 2022 and 42% of its electricity from renewable energy by 2025.

Women Tell Distressing Stories of Their Experiences on Egypt's Metro
Mo Salah Staying Five More Years with Liverpool Club

Subscribe to our newsletter


International

My name is Mohamed Mohsen, I am - of course - Egyptian. For the last three years I've lived abroad (in Budapest,Hungary), in an international school, there I was blessed with the opportunity to be exposed to a multitude of cultures and nationalities. Outside of my nurtured (and largely contained) international community, I was also witness to a sharp shift in perception of the Muslim community in Hungary. This sparked my interest for the topic of my article. Currently I am a high school student residing in Cairo, and a budding writer.

More in International

Egyptian Woman Becomes Country’s First Flight Attendant with Down Syndrome

Egyptian StreetsDecember 5, 2019

Tunisia Becomes First Country in the MENA Region to Introduce Sex Ed in Schools

Egyptian StreetsDecember 3, 2019

Sudan Abolishes its Public Order Law in a Move Towards Women Empowerment

Egyptian StreetsNovember 29, 2019

Biblioteca Alexandrina Glows in Orange Lights to Combat Violence Against Women and Girls

Egyptian StreetsNovember 26, 2019

Cairo Rejects Pompeo’s Statement Legalizing Israeli Settlements

Egyptian StreetsNovember 19, 2019

Reema Juffali Makes History as Saudi Arabia’s First Female Racing Driver

Egyptian StreetsNovember 16, 2019

‘Climate Change Is the Next ISIS’: Meet the World Economic Forum’s First Iraqi Female Board Member

Niveen GhoneimNovember 11, 2019

Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia to Attempt Reaching Final Agreement for GERD by January 15

Egyptian StreetsNovember 7, 2019